Dion Amago Whitehead
Software Engineer, Data Scientist, Game Developer
I’m passionate about understanding complex systems using big data and software, large scale data software architecture, molecular simulation, evolution, biological networks, game development, UX, in no particular order. I have a broad and deep range of interests and abilities, and a thirst for learning.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/dionamago
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dionwhiteheadamago
- GitHub: https://github.com/dionjwa
2+ years developing cloud-computing infrastructure for scientific applications, 7+ years developing large scale online/social/mobile games and infrastructure, 3 years as post-doc working in the field of computational biology and bioinformatics.
- Currently working on molecular simulation applications and Genetic Constructor.
- Designed and built Cloud Compute Cannon. CCC puts scalable cloud computing into the hands of scientists. CCC can be easily installed locally, or in the cloud (AWS), and provides a simple API for running any scientific compute jobs.
- Integrated Cloud Compute Cannon into the bionano molecular viewer, and contributed to the backend.
- Developer the idea of ‘Metapages’: connected webpages as applications.
- I led a small team that published the iOS and Android versions of Fresh Deck Poker in record amount of time without compromising performance, by using the right combination of technology and people.
- I developed for both the front-end client and the back-end systems, ensuring maximum of performance, development velocity, and long-term maintainability+flexibility in the codebase.
Technology stack: Cross-platform front-end (Cocos2d-x, Objective-C, C++, Java, Lua), mostly Python back-end.
2008 – 2010
Software Developer at Three Rings Design, Philadelphia. Prototyped and developed flash social games.
- Prototyped a large number of games, compared to the industry average rate of released games, by building re-usable components at the right level of software abstraction, and building upon appropriate existing software.
Technology stack: Flash front-end (with the Facebook API), Java backend.
2005 – 2008
- Collaborated with biologists to analyze a large and unique data set, providing unique software tools due to my deep understanding of the data, the statistical methods, and the possibilities of multiple interconnected software packages.
- Planned, supervised, and executed multiple research programs simultaneously.
- Developed a Python course for biologists with little coding experience that allowed them to solve real research and coursework problems.
- Taught Python, bioinformatics and R courses in German and English, having only learned German at the beginning of my PhD.
Technology: Python, Java, Condor (a distributed computing system), R.
PhD student, International NRW Graduate School in Bioinformatics and Genome Research, Bielefeld university, Germany. Built tools for integrating different kinds of databases and tools for visualization of complex data.
Technology: Python, Java, R
- PhD in Bioinformatics, CebiTec Graduate School, Bielefeld University, Germany. Grade: 1.0. Link to thesis: http://pub.uni-bielefeld.de/publication/2306211
- Post-graduate Diploma in Genetics, Massey University, New Zealand.
- B.Sc. Immunology & Virology, Massey University, New Zealand.
Recent Open source projects
- Cloud Compute Cannon: https://github.com/Autodesk/cloud-compute-cannon
- All GitHub projects: http://github.com/dionjwa